Another post from the lovely Rebecca Harford of who runs the Love my Body Programme.
The weather is getting better and the days are getting longer, now is often when we give our house and gardens a bit of a clean out - well we should also do the same with our body.
1) Clean out your wardrobe: Try on your clothes- are they too big? put in a recycling pile to either be dropped off in the closest clothing bin ASAP or have a 2nd hand clothes swap party with friends. Have you not worn that item last summer- put it in the recycling pile. If there is clothes that you haven't worn this winter- put them in your pile too!! no point in saving them for another year and taking up space!! Check your clothes over- are they a little too loved or need mending (and be honest with yourself if you don't fix it tonight then put it straight in the bin!!)?? Make sure to check your undies and socks too- have a good clean out and then treat yourself to some gorgeous new frills- its amazing how great it makes you feel!!
Here's some good advice on when to bin your bra!!
- Has the lace on your bra begun to pill, stretch or tear?
- Do the straps on your bra hold their length without stretching?
- Is the band that fits around your rib cage stretched? Does it still hold tight to your body?
- Have you gained or lost weight recently, resulting in a change in your rib cage and breast size?
- Do you notice any fraying fabric anywhere on your bra?
- Are the moulded cups of your bra beginning to show signs of wrinkling or dimpling?
- Is the fabric of your bra looking dingy, gray or stained from perspiration or everyday wear and washing?
- When you wear a tight-fitting top over your bra, do you notice any bra bulge anywhere along your breast line and back?
- Are you feeling any discomfort or pain between your shoulder blades or back?
- Are you having to tighten the straps of your bra more often to give your breasts proper lift and support?
If you answer yes to one of these questions then you need to ditch that bra!!
2) Give your skin a refresh!!- Not the skin on your face!! now is the time our pearly whites are starting to come out and I'm not talking teeth!! SO its time to give everything a spruce up.
- Dehair- do whatever it takes and get rid of ALL of that unwanted hair no excuses!!
- Exfoliate- give EVERYWHERE a good scrub with a lovely exfoliant
-Moisterise, moisterise, moisterise- get a gradual fake tanner (like Dove summer glow its great!!)- having a bit of colour on your skin will make you feel more confident :)
Now you need to be doing this at least 2x a week- believe me you will thank me for the extra 15 mins a week you spend on this when you need to slip quickly into a skirt, shorts or singlet and your legs and arms look great!!
3) Clean out your makeup, skincare products etc etc- Have you been holding onto some nice smellies for another day??- well start treating yourself and use them!! IF you haven't used something for 6 months either pass it on to someone who will, use it yourself or bin it!!
Here are some tips for when to bin your make up and skincare products:
- Most powders, concealers and lip balms are anhydrous (they don't contain water), so they can last for a couple of years.
- Cleansers and moisturizers often contain fatty acids, which can turn rancid quickly. Toss after six months.
- Multiuse products such as 3-in-1 sticks and creams can spread germs from lips to eyes and cheeks. Wipe the surface before switching areas, and discard or replace after six months.
- Pencils can last several years unless you wet the tip with saliva or water. To be safe, sharpen before each use.
- Mascara should be tossed after three months without fail. The tube is a breeding ground for bacteria.
- Foundations can last up to a year if you keep your fingers away from the bottle. Instead, use a sponge to apply..
- Store cosmetics in a cool, dry place outside the bathroom to extend their shelf life.
Good luck and enjoy the results from your big spring clean :)