Halswell Domain

Halswell Domain
View from the Model Engineers' site in the Halswell Domain

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Sabys Road Bridge and beyond

I was delighted to see the Sabys Road bridge finally opened.  Considering the mentality and the quality of our benighted council it was quite an achievement to see them actually repair this little bridge only two and a half years after it fell down in the first earthquake.  Of particular interest was the expert production planning which resulted in a neat illuminated sign which first assured us all that the bridge would be repaired by 18 November, then the sign changed to 18 December.  A few days later it read 21 December, a week later 18 January. At last it said "SOON".  I am so glad these clowns are not running a bus service ! Being a regular traveller over his bridge I frequently trotted by to see progress and I am pleased to inform local residents that my new book " Variations on the Theme of Leaning on Shovels - Illustrated" will be coming out shortly.

Anywhere else in the civilised world this work would have been done in a couple of weeks, but in The Peoples Republic of Christchurch, Marxist Leninism thrives.

Has anyone any one idea what the ****** is going on with all the long dragged out road works on the main Halswell- Tai Tapu Road ? I only wish I could make my "work" last so long, get paid, no doubt handsomely, and stay "employed" so securely. Or am I just a little bit cynical?    

Does anyone else feel, as I do, that earthquake recovery actually means mindless vandalism of beautiful heritage buildings, repair of roads that are serviceable while really ruined roads are ignored, badly planned disruption to traffic, construction of ugly concrete boxes and an end to any character or history of what was a shining example of British Colonial achievement?

 Thanks to Ron for this piece

No comments:

Post a Comment